- 7:30 AM – 9:00 AM Breakfast and Group Introductions: What are you working on?
At the Charles Hotel, Cambridge
- 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM Startup Disruptors, Industry Shifts + Big Companies
A group conversation with Scott Griffith, former CEO of Zipcar; executive-in-residence at General Catalyst Partners; and co-founder of Censio
- 10:30 AM – Noon Morning whiteboard sessions
At Microsoft’s New England Research & Development site, Cambridge
Options will include:
– Sophie Vandebroek, Chief Technology Officer, Xerox & President, Xerox Innovation Group: How to bring R&D teams closer to customers
– Dan O’Malley, Chief Digital Officer, Eastern Bank: Setting up an innovation lab inside an established organization
– Carla Small, Director of Innovation, Boston Children’s Hospital: How we fund and support innovators
– Mandira Singh, Athenahealth: Building an ecosystem of startups around your company
- Noon – 1:30 PM Lunch and conversation with Jennifer Tour Chayes, right, who oversees Microsoft’s research teams in Cambridge and New York City, to discuss Microsoft’s research priorities, and how the group plugs into headquarters.
- 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM Tour of Greentown Labs, a shared startup space and workshop for companies focused on cleantech, energy, and sustainability. We’ll meet Greentown director Emily Reichert and several resident entrepreneurs.
Shawn Murphy of Shell TechWorks, Patty DiOrio of National Grid, and Todd DiNoia of Saint-Gobain/CertainTeed will discuss their partnerships with Greentown, and the R&D work their companies do in the Boston area.
- 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM Private tour, tasting, and dinner at Aeronaut Brewing Co., one of Boston’s hottest microbreweries. Dinner catered by Posto, which specializes in Neapolitan wood-fired pizzas. Return by bus to Charles Hotel.
Day Two: Thursday, October 22nd
- 7:30 AM Luxury coach from Charles Hotel to CVS Health’s Digital Innovation Lab
- 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM Breakfast and demos of new mobile and Internet projects at CVS Health’s Digital Innovation Lab, which opened in June. We’ll also meet with Brian Tilzer, Chief Digital Officer of CVS Health.
- 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM Visit the Society of Grownups and meet with founder Nondini Naqui. Society of Grownups is a “learning initiative” run by MassMutual, which seeks to teach young adults about financial matters in a casual space that offers coffee and communal dinners. (Pictured at right.)
- 11 AM – 1 PM Participant-led breakout sessions on topics of your choice, followed by lunch.
- 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM Visit the headquarters of robotics innovator iRobot for hands-on demos of the company’s latest robotic home appliances, mobile videoconferencing systems, and bots for police and the military. Meet with founder and CEO Colin Angle to discuss how the company pioneers new markets.
- 3:30 PM Option #1: Travel to the Cambridge Innovation Center to recap and discuss what we’ve learned at the Field Study, and pose final questions to the assembled brain trust. At 5:00 PM, wrap up the Field Study with beers at the Venture Café, a weekly gathering that attracts entrepreneurs from around the Boston area. Interested participants can get their own table at the café to conduct one-on-one meetings; others can schmooze. (The Venture Café remains open until 8 PM; participants may choose to form their own dinner groups, and will be responsible for their own transportation to airport, train station, or home.)
- 3:30 PM Option #2: Return via luxury coach to Logan Airport; arrive at approximately 4:30 PM (this option will not include the wrap-up session or Venture Café visit).
Day One: Wednesday, October 21st